Saturday, September 4, 2010

5K

The good news is I'm not getting slower!

Ok, well, I'm a little slower than I was, but considering that my baby is one month old today and I'm still in that recovery period, that's ok for now. Especially since I'm faster than I was last week and can run a little further now too.

This morning I ran 5K. The very first time I ran that distance was a year and a half ago. Since it was the distance in the first sprint Tri I was doing, it's as far as I ever ran when I was getting ready for that Tri.

(word to the wise-it helps to actually train for an event like that as opposed to just making sure you can actually swim, bike and run the required distances and that it won't kill you to do so)

Now that I know I can run significantly further than 3 miles and change, it seems a piddly distance. To be totally honest, when I look at what I was running one year ago, it's annoying that it took some real effort to run this distance today.

Until I remind myself that "technically" I should not actually start running at all for another 2 weeks. You know, when I get that 6 week postpartum check-up "clearance" from the dr.

Then I feel all rebellious and think that 3 miles is pretty darn cool.
Or something like that.

No, I don't have issues, why do you ask?

This wasn't actually a 5K event, except in my own little world. I just needed to know I could do a distance that wasn't completely arbitrary, and was more than 2-point-something miles. So with a couple of real 5Ks in the next few weeks, it seemed like a good distance to aim for. And it's the course I run when doing virtual races, so it feels like my own little event course.


31:03.
I would have loved to be under 30, but I am thrilled that it was under 10min/mile.
Mile 1: 9:39
Mile 2: 9:57
Mile 3: 9:49
0.2: 8:49

And then I realized that a 5K is should actually be 3.1 and not 3.2, so I actually ran it 52.9 seconds faster than 31:03, which puts it at just barely over 30 minutes. Fantastic!

5 more weeks to my 10K, I'm thinking it will be ok after all! And dare I even hope to run it in less than 60 minutes? Maybe.....
Photobucket

2 comments:

Rheanna said...

I'm not believing that I'll ever get to that point, but you give me hope that it's possible :o) We'll see how I feel come November!

XLMIC said...

as a "former" (trying to get rid of that word) athlete ... in my pre-kids life, I get what you mean about where you are vs. where you were. And I want you to know that your drive and determination actually are contagious... I started running again last week... for the 1st time in 8 yrs! Thanks to you!