Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Last night at 10:58 I ran down the middle of my street.


Like you didn't already think I'm crazy.

Actually to be exact, I ran 0.38 miles at a pace of 9:55 min/mile.
(not my best pace, but it was late, I was tired, and I couldn't see where I was going. Also I've never claimed, nor ever will I claim, to be a speed demon of any sort.)
I even know what elevation I ran at.

Why you ask?

Garmin.

Say it with me: Garmin, Garmin, GARMIN!

This word probably means squat to the vast majority of you. But that's ok! Until about 6 months ago it meant squat to me too.

Now, it means I don't have to bike every run course I do to get an accurate distance. It means I don't have to hope I'm punching my watch at the right place, hoping it's close to every mile, to get a accurate idea of my pace/mile.

It means that my husband rocks. And that I got my birthday present a week early. Woo-hoo!

This little baby:

Tracks everything. Everything.

My pace, my distance, my heart rate, what elevation I'm running at, my goals, my run history....I can even run against a virtual me and see how far ahead of myself I can get. I can pinpoint my preferred heart rate zone, map out a course, track it all with nifty program, and set it to alert me at a certain distance if I just want to tune out and run. Along with a whole slew of other things.

Wow.

If you'll excuse me now, I'm going to go run.


Photobucket

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Awesome!!! I love it! How much does one of those cost...if you don't mind me asking?

Unknown said...

haha, this sounds like one of those things I might buy to motivate me to try running, but would never actually use! This is a very cool gadget though! I use Spark People to find out the distances of my treks... it has maps that you mark your path and how long it took to walk/run. :)

Geneve said...

Your husband is awesome! How great is that to get something for your birthday that you actually want! :) That might even motiviate me to run...maybe.