Monday, July 26, 2010

The recipe


I've had a handful of people ask about the recipe for the Chicken Enchilada Dip.

Remember this?
Mmmmm.....

For a girl who isn't a huge fan of spicy things, I sure have had a change of heart lately.
Bread will give me heartburn, but this recipe with plenty of cayenne and cumin? Nada.
Go figure.

So, since I've made it three times in the last week, and enough people have asked me for it, here you go.

Same bad photo, double the kick.

*2 Chicken Breasts, cooked and shredded
(or you can take my short cut here and just used canned chicken. Less cooking time means it hits my mouth faster. And if you are familiar with Aaron's motto during my pregnancies-"keep your arms and legs away from the mouth"-you realize that quicker to the mouth is a good thing!)

Sauce
*2 Tbsp olive oil
*1/4 cup diced onion
1 clove garlic crushed
1 Tbsp flour
1 15oz can tomato sauce
1/4 c water
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste
--------
1 15oz can black beans
1/2 c shredded cheese
1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
Corn chips

Heat oil over medium heat, add onion, saute until tender. Add garlic, saute 30 sec. Whisk in flour until combined. Slowly whisk in tomato sauce. Add water, then spices. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low then simmer 15min. Combine chicken with sauce.
Preheat oven to 375. In a 9x9 baking dish, layer chicken/sauce on bottom, spread black beans over chicken/sauce mixture, sprinkle cheese on top. Bake 20 min. Add cilantro after cooking. Serve with chips.

I'm not digging the cilantro lately, so I skip that, and have been bumping up the cumin and cayenne and oregano. This coming from someone who has burned through a jar of cumin this year and previously took 7 years to go through one jar. No exaggeration. (and yes, I know spices aren't supposed to last that long, yada, yada, yada) And using cayenne? Unheard of in this house. Now the just purchased jar is almost gone.

Pregnancy is weird stuff I tell ya.
Also, I think we can rule out that whole spicy food starting labor thing.
Photobucket

2 comments:

~LL~ said...

cumin is my favorite spice.... I go through several per year in our Mexican food. Sounds good.... I could crank it up a notch.

I would LOVE to fix Aaron some of New Mexico red chile someday....talk about sweat. The man would melt to a puddle. LOL!

Aaron said...

Don't let the sweat fool you....I LOVE IT! I can take the heat, just about better than anyone I know!