Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sweet Tooth Sunday



If you didn't catch it on one of my more recent posts, my oven is dead. Poor thing.
The oven, not me.
Well, no, me too!

It has been five days since I've baked anything. That's almost a record, except for times when I was on vacation and unable to bake. Wow.

BUT-it all works out nicely this week as in my craving for something sweet, I've had to default to treats that don't require baking.

Do not let that put you off....this is a good one.

Who doesn't love the ultimate summer classic, ice cream? No one.
Everybody loves ice cream.
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream.
If you don't, then there must be something wrong with you. And whatever it is, it is no small thing.

Now-I am not a fan of fruity ice cream in general. There are a couple of exceptions, both of which happen to be homemade ice cream. Homemade ice cream is pretty hard to beat in any form though.

When it comes to fruity homemade ice cream, I will do peach and I will do raspberry.

So, hello! Let's marry them.

Oh sweet brilliance.

Even my husband who doesn't like fruity ice cream at all enjoyed this.

First, if you don't have an ice cream maker, get one. We have one of the lovely 1970's yellow bucket things. But I was out of salt. Bless my parents for letting me borrow their wonderful new ice cream maker.

I'm putting this baby on my wish list!

Second, I was so intent on getting me some ice cream, that I forgot to take pictures of making the ice cream.

Use your imagination.

You need peaches.
You need raspberries.
(please tell me you all knew what those looked like without pictures. Thank you.)

You need the ice cream basics, cream, milk, sugar, vanilla.

After you've peeled and sliced your peaches, throw them in a bowl with your raspberries, and mash them up together. Put half of your sugar in there and mix it up. Mmmm....good.....and it looks so pretty. (you'll just have to trust me on this one)

Following my cardinal rule, make sure you taste that.
Fruit + Sugar = yum.

In another bowl, mix up the cream, milk, vanilla and sugar until the sugar dissolves.

Marry your two bowls, mix it up, and pour it in.

Wait for it.

This is the hardest part.


Find something productive to do. Maybe. Or just read the Sunday paper. But don't do the dishes, that's no fun. Plus they can wait for tomorrow.

I promise they are not going anywhere. And maybe tomorrow you can make one of the kids do them.
Yes, I did just show you my sink full of dirty dishes. Even with the big chip out of the front there. I have no shame.

Once it's ready.....

Oh.....

Dear......


It's time for dessert.


Raspberry/Peach Ice Cream

4 peaches; sliced, pitted, peeled
6 oz raspberries
2 3/4 c cream
1 1/4 c whole milk
1 1/2 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Combine cream, milk, vanilla and half of the sugar; mix until sugar is dissolved. In a separate bowl, combine peaches and raspberries, mash until as smooth as desired. If you like chunky ice cream, leave it a little chunky! Combine fruit with remaining half of sugar, mix well.
Pour fruit into milk/cream mixture, pour into ice cream maker, run until firm.


6 comments:

MaryAnne said...

Catey my oven will not be used for another whole week. If you would like to bake anything at all get my house key from my mom or jessica (they both have one) and use my oven. You could bake with no one home to bother you and have the kitchen all to yourself. I am really serious!!! You are welcome to my oven.

Kelsey said...

that's Stacy's prego concoction!

Heidi said...

That looks soooo yummmy! Maybe I need to invest in a new ice cream maker.

Ashley said...

Yep, one more reason that I need to get an ice cream maker - I saw a great recipe for chunky chocolate mint ice cream the other day...I NEED an ice cream maker!!!

The May Family said...

Hey there, Its Joni, Sophies old owner. I was just wondering if you happen to have any puppies left. We say some chiweenies at walmart the other day and I fell in love. Im curious if Sophies look anything like these ones did. Anyway, Let me know if you have one left. Or even some pictures of them would be nice. Thanks.

Joni
801-949-8907

Laurie said...

Looks delicious!