Monday, May 25, 2009

Goin' to the dogs

Yes, life is all about the dog right now.  


When we adopted our little Sophie a little over a month ago, we knew there was a chance she kinda, sorta, possibly, maybe, might be just a little big pregnant.  That's cool.  I was good with that.  And I was super grateful that her previous family actually told us all of that before we made our decision so that it wasn't a big shock after we had made up our minds.  

Since this hadn't been a purposeful breeding, we weren't clamoring to go spend hundreds on ultrasounds to settle the whole "is she or isn't she" thing, we chose to just wait it out and see if it progressed or if it was a false pregnancy.  Very slowly we saw a little bit of growth and swelling, but still not enough to be obvious.  

Until about two weeks ago.  

There is no mistaking the fact that this dog is indeed very pregnant.  

I swear she is growing by the day, and lately it seems she is expanding by the hour!  I measured her belly tonight, just for fun.  21 inches.  WOW!  That is one big belly for this little dog!

Look at this-she's fully stretched and she's still huge!  

When she sits she looks like a turkey.  Our little furry turkey.  

We are now anxiously awaiting the arrival of a litter from Sophie.  I am such a dog person-I love having a dog again.  I also have always wanted the opportunity to have puppies.  

Uh, have a dog that has puppies.  I have no desire to have puppies myself.   

I think the whole process is a great learning experience for kids.  Are they old enough to appreciate it?  Probably not.  Maybe the oldest two or three.  Oh well.  This wasn't the time we originally planned for this experience anyway, but we are sure looking forward to it now!  

Look how cute she was as a puppy:


Awwww....

We were thinking that she might be in labor last night/early this morning;  She had a temp drop (one way to monitor impending labor), and has been acting kind of weird.  But today she regained her appetite and her temp has not stayed down or bottomed out, so it looks like we may be in for a few more days.  

I have never had a desire to take a dog's temp.  Now that I am doing it more than once a day, I still do not have any desire to take a dog's temp.  Almost as not fun for me as for her.  Ok, not quite.  She wins the awkward factor in this one.  But still.  

Since we don't have an exact date of the breeding, we are guessing on her due date, but it should be any day now.

And while we wait, I am thoroughly enjoying just sitting with her and watching all those little puppies squirming around inside her.  It is amazing to feel them jumping around in there!  

Kinda makes me miss that experience.  It almost makes me want to be pregnant again.  

Almost.  

But no I'm not.  So quit asking.  


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sweeeet! Can't wait to meet the new Ball babies!

Kelsey said...

I wouldn't mind having puppies ;)
You best call me asap. I want me some puppy time.

Cindi said...

Wow! Puppies. Any idea about the father?