Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The latest-one week old

Wow, tomorrow Sam will be one week old.
Already.

Why do these first weeks always go so fast?!?

He is beautiful and wonderful and amazing and perfect.....
So far all of his metabolic panels are coming back pretty darn constant.
One of the biggest worries is sodium level, and his is fantastic. He was a little high in the hospital (145), but as of this week he is great! (138)

Still on the lights for jaundice, but as long as his body kicks in and his levels keep going down, that's ok. Hopefully tomorrow we'll get a better number and be able to take him off. We'll see.

I would love to just hold him all day long, and look forward to being off lights so I can wear him and just have him close to me.

While having to hit him doubly hard with the lights is a bummer (he is on the light bed from above, with a biliblanket underneath his body), I love that we have the biliblanket. That way when I feed him in the middle of the night I don't beat myself up if we drift off to sleep together for a little while because we bring that biliblanket in to bed with him so he is still getting the light even though he's out of the actual light bed. Having him in my arms just soothes my soul.
The other kids are really doing well with all the adjustments that a regular newborn brings, and all the extra appointments and attention that are needed this time around. They love him to death and I keep finding them standing at my bedroom doorway sneaking peeks at him laying there in the light bed.
"Uh, I thought I heard him crying so I just thought I'd check to make sure" is always the excuse. It's sweet.
Photobucket

6 comments:

Candice said...

He's SO BEAUTIFUL! So, I don't see a shunt... Do they think he's okay without one, or are they still measuring? Such a MIRACLE!

Catey said...

No shunt yet, since the lateral vents blew into each other and the fluid is communicating there for now, the pressure was greatly relieved, enough that we are just monitoring closely for the time being. So far so good, and hopefully it will stay that way until he is bigger and stronger! :)

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

What a MIRACLE!!! Love this!

Rheanna said...

He is so precious!!!!!!!!! I just can't get over the miracle of it all...what a great blessing! Happy Anniversary!

Kelsey said...

he is just the cutest thing ever! I think you're the only person that thinks the first weeks go by fast...:)
I love me some Sammy J!

Laurie said...

Congratulations, he is a great looking baby. I'm so glad things are going so well.