Thursday, August 26, 2010

The inaugural post-baby run

Yesterday was THAT day.

I am happy to say that my legs still work.

They don't work for as long as I'd like them to, but I do have to take into consideration the fact that I delivered a baby three weeks ago. Sometimes I forget to be realistic.

You'd never have guessed that, would you?

Two miles.
Twenty minutes.
Well, plus the warm up/cool down walk. See? I'm trying to be responsible and not push it.

It's amazing how far your mind can wander in 20 minutes. I've forgotten how theraputic pounding the pavement can be.

I was thrilled to find that I wasn't running slower, that was nice. Since I'm not a fast person to begin with I was a little worried about that.
I had not really considered my current redistribution of weight. I should have worried about that. Time to find some reinforcement.

It was a treat to return home with a smile on my sweaty face.
Heck, it was a treat to be sweaty from real activity as opposed to sweating simply due to the fact that I was pregnant.
Also it helped that the baby was still sleeping peacefully. Mom guilt can be hard to keep at bay sometimes.

6 1/2 weeks until my first post-baby #8 race. Not that I'll be "racing" so much, but hey, it's an actual event. It should be a fun one too.
I'm trying out something new this year as well-an actual training plan. 8 wks to a half marathon. That race is currently 9 1/2 wks out, so I have plenty of time to get there phsycially. The real kicker there will be emotionally. The other events I've got my eye on in the next two months all require being away from baby for not much more than roughly an hour (which should be about how long it takes to run the 10k where if all goes well my sweet husband will be waiting at the finish line with babe in arms....), a half will require considerably more than that. More like 4-5 hours. My heart might just leap out of my chest at that. Then factor in breastfeeding and.....if I need to explain why that could be an issue, you wouldn't understand anyway. At that point I wouldn't be worried as much about my heart as my actual chest.

But never fear! I do have a back up plan. If I can't make it to that half, I will do my own. It will be the Maverick Mommy half-marathon. Because it would consist of me running from home, to Maverick (yes the gas station) and back.
I'll make my own shirt.



Photobucket

6 comments:

Rheanna said...

I can't believe you plan to do a 1/2 marathon in less than 10 weeks! That's awesome! Good luck with that!

XLMIC said...

My hat goes off to you! Running while bf'ing... I could never pin them down to comfortability. Wishing you the best with the 1/2!

Tiffany said...

I will simply say I will NEVER attempt a half while nursing a baby that eats roughly 6 ounces every 3 hours again. Good luck in all your training fun!

Kelsey said...

nursing + running = ouchie.

The Balls said...

You are so funny, I love the Maverick Mommy half idea! Nursing sure doesn't provide a lot of getaway time, I know! You have inspired me!

Becky said...

Wow, great plan! And I guess the good thing about running for hours at a time is that no one will hopefully know what's sweat and what's due to leaking??? LOL