Monday, February 8, 2010

Tonsillectomy-round two

Because darn it, it just wasn't enough fun for the family the first time!

The good news is that this one doesn't involve me. Well, at least not the way the last one did.

It's Jacob's turn. Lucky kid.
(please note the sarcasm)

Remember how I set a record for my dr when it came to ASO numbers? (blood levels of strep)

Overachievers in all the wrong areas. Yes, we are!
My levels topped out at 660.
Normal is under 200.

Jacob, ahhh, my little Jacob...he's had some issues we've been trying to nail down for over a year. The best news we got was that it wasn't leukemia (seriously-no words to explain that feeling). The frustration was that we couldn't figure out what it was.
Thank heavens for our pediatrician. He's amazing. Seriously.
He had the thought that we'd run some more blood tests on Jacob, and asked that we come back a few weeks after Jacob was treated for strep throat (in Dec).

The blood test? ASO titer.
My old friend.

Jacob has outdone me. and then some.

AFTER a full course of antibiotics, his blood levels-on their way down-are you ready for this?

955.

Youch.

But hey-the good news is that I know of a great ENT. And they now travel to a clinic just 15min from my house one day a week, saving me an extra 20min drive in each direction to get to the consults.

Jacob goes under on March 5th for his turn. He keeps asking me "Will they let me sleep through it?" He is thrilled each time I tell him that yes, he will be asleep. And that he can eat all the ice cream, jello, smoothies, yogurt, etc, etc, that he wants for the week afterward.

I, on the other hand, am not looking forward to watching my kid experience what I just did. Everyone keeps promising me his recovery will be exponentially easier than mine. Gosh I hope so!


Photobucket

8 comments:

MaryAnne said...

Darn it!!Poor guy, let me know if you need any help!!

Cheryl said...

So crazy. The poor kid. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you.

His recovery should be a ton easier and faster than yours! I have never had this done, but my sister did it when she was 17. She was back to normal in a couple of days!!!!

We will keep him in our prayers!!! Let him know that he is a champ! I miss teaching him in Primary!!!

Kelsey said...

Kids heal much, much faster!!!
Poor little Jakers. Tell him I will bring him milkshakes and slurpees galore :)

Unknown said...

I tell you; Gavin's recovery was hands down awful! I hope that everything goes well for Jacob!

Malinda said...

Sounds just like Jacob to out do his mom! Gosh I miss that kid. Wish I could stop by and give him a yummy treat after surgery.

Cindi said...

I'm so glad that they figured out what was wrong with the poor guy. I hope the surgery goes well.

~LL~ said...

Aw.... poor kid! Fortunately, he has a fantabulous mommy to help him through. Prayers for all of you!

Becky said...

My friends six year old twins both had it done a few weeks ago (at the same time) and she was shocked at how quickly they bounced back. She was hoping for a little more downtime to get a small break... hope it's the same for you!