Saturday, August 23, 2008

How Sweet It Is

I know. I'm sure this entire thing is totally my fault. I have a sweet tooth. Actually, most people have a sweet tooth, my mouth is full of them! I am the Sweet Tooth Fairy! :)

Apparently most of my kids have inherited this from me. Either that or I've trained them into it. Whatever. Thankfully they are all plenty healthy, and will gladly gobble up fruits and veggies when offered as a snack or with meals, but sometimes you just need something a little sweeter. You know, like when I was a kid and used to sneak into my grandma's kitchen, get to the sugar canister and just eat a spoonful of sugar. Hey-I blame Mary Poppins for that one. So in the spirit of passing blame, I suppose that one day my kids will blame me for this. You know, because I do crazy things like dare to have powdered sugar in my house. And don't get me started on the chocolate chips.

What is "this" exactly? "This" is what happens when I sat down to nurse the baby yesterday. (you can only imagine what goes on when I dare to go to the bathroom because then I am behind a locked door!) I hear the kids playing nicely, hear them going downstairs, being there for a bit, then I hear Alaina coming upstairs. She stopped abruptly at the top of the stairs and yelled "LINCOLN! WHAT are you DOING?!?" Apparently Lincoln stayed upstairs instead of going down to play with the kids. (I know-bad mommy) Being in a spot where I couldn't just jump and run to the scene, and knowing that no one was dying because if they were there would have at least been an audible crash, I just shouted out to Alaina "What is wrong?" Apparently Lincoln had climbed up the counter (again), gotten in the cupboard of baking things (again), but this time instead of raiding the chocolate chips, he decided to go for the gold with the powdered sugar. Yum! Can't say I blame the kid, it's good stuff. I am very impressed that he managed to eat it straight without ever coughing. But the real kicker is that he spilled gross amounts more than he ate. All over. the floor. the counter. himself. Pick a place near the kitchen (including the dining room carpet and table) and it was covered with powdered sugar. Since I didn't want to listen to the baby scream and she wasn't done eating yet, and since you can't very well clean up a mess that size with one hand, I assigned Alaina the job of trying to sweep up what she could manage until I could get to it. What a good girl-she sure tried. (in other words, the dustpan was put away caked with powdered sugar, which was then ALL over under the sink since that is where the dustpan is stored, among other things) This is a glimpse of the cleaned up version that met me when I put the baby down (hey-you know you would've grabbed the camera too!):


(After the toaster had been cleaned, and the counter wiped off-but notice he moved the rice krispy treats and the butter that was sitting out out of his way before climbing up on the counter)

Well, in the less than 5 minutes it took for me to finish with the baby, get her tucked in for a nap and get down the hallway to the kitchen, apparently the need for sugar spread. Dallin was standing in the kitchen with powdered sugar all over his face, shirt and pants.

"Dallin-are you eating powdered sugar?"
"no."
"It's all over you. I know you've been eating it. Where is it?"
"I don't know. I put it away."
(mean old mom opens the cupboard, and the powdered sugar isn't there.)
"No Dallin, you didn't. where is it?"
"I don't know."
"Where did you put it?"
"I don't know."
So we go on the hunt for the bag. (in other words, I close my eyes, breath in deeply, and wait for that hormonally driven need for sugar to surface so my body can just float it's way to wherever the hiding place is) It is finally located-behind the couch. Because you know that's what behind the couch is for. Hiding while you eat powdered sugar. Unless the couch is a dark chocolate brown color (see-there's the sugar fix again-even in the furniture color), and you leave the evidence smeared and sprinkled all over it.

Look closer-a double whammy-chocolate cake crumbs!

But hey-we did figure out who ate the last piece of chocolate cake, and where that took place. (impressive that he did that w/out a trace of chocolate on him or his clothing) And the good news is that the sugar just brushed right out of the drapes-thank goodness! We paid entirely too much for those suckers for them to be ruined by sugar. And, well, thank heavens for microfiber furniture and oh, the power of the Dyson. Phew!

Oh, and after washing the kitchen floor three times, with a good Swiffer wet-jet follow up, you no longer stick to it.

Aaron deserves a gold star on his forehead for just happening to bringing home a big bag of M&Ms for me yesterday. Perfect timing! Because as everyone in this house obviously knows-nothing soothes like sugar! :P

14 comments:

Unknown said...

ROFL!!! Mad skills I tell ya!

Kelsey said...

it's true...I was on the phone with her! he he
I love that your kids try to be sneaky with the treats. Makes me giggle. I'd rather they do that then masacre people's toothbrushes and latex gloves :) I'm peeing!

justdawn said...

ROFL...I deal with these kinds of things on a regular basis, too;)

Goofy kids! heh

Aaron said...

I don't even know what to say......


.....I blame you.

TR said...

Catey! I found your blog awhile ago from Heidi Hughes' blog. Congrats on your new little one!! I too love newborns! Looks like you're still doing great. I saw your husband a few yrs ago at Lindsay Oddone's wedding but I haven't seen you in ages. Email me and I'll send you an invite to our blog. tracyrowe5@hotmail.com
Tracy Olson Rowe

Mary W. said...

Oh No - it happens here too - only mine was cocoa powder - oy vey

Celeste said...

I think you have a real knack for telling stories. Have you ever thought about writing a book or something? Just a suggestion :) Oh, what exactly does "ROFL" mean? I'm obviously out-of-the-loop when it comes to blogging lingo :)

~LL~ said...

Heh.....powdered sugar is good stuff....but being the mom, I don't have to hide behind the couch. LOL! And you are right....that stuff is NOT easy to clean up.

We have a sectional and the kids love to go behind the various parts to do whatever....usually sneak some forbidden yummies or let me know it's time to poop. LOL!!!

Are those grunts of pleasure or......ewwwwwwww!

Ashley said...

I love that you grabbed your camera, I think that I would have been yelling too loudly to even 'think' about that - there is that lovely "you are so patient - how do you do it?' comment again. Sorry, I am just envious!
And, I sure hope that chocolate chip comment wasn't a dig on me - just because I have NEVER bought a bag of the things.................

Cindi said...

Gotta love days like that. As kids, my brothers and I got into the powdered cocoa, put it in our mouths and then blew it out before it got dry. We had cocoa all over the house and I really thought my dad was going to kill us when he got home. He just looked at the mess, turned around and left the house. We knew that we had better clean it up--fast! (Just one of our rather large messes).

Way to document it with pictures and journaling. It will especially be funny when they're grown. :)

Rheanna said...

Hey, I can't fault your kids because mine are the same way! I just need sugar and I'm convinced that I really do---it's not a want anymore!

justdawn said...

Hey...I ar you had a bad day, yesterday. Just wanted to stop by and let you know I was thinking about you! Love you! (((HUGS)))

~LL~ said...

Left you an award on my blog....pop over.

Becky said...

Hey Catey.. last night Daniel was telling me that you had a blog so I did some googleing and found it! Hope you don't mind. :o)

Anyway, I'm totally LOL.. I swear mass trouble is spread worldwide any time a nursing session starts. Tricky kids.

We should get together sometime.. Aubrey still asks about her step-cousins.

And I LOVE that you totally ramble on like I do.. hehehe

Lastly, as I was scanning through things.. you know how to make baby legs??????? I want some for my baby!!

-Becky (McCaskey)