Monday, April 16, 2012

Perfect TEN!

Ten.
TEN!
T.E.N!!!
Beautiful blissful miles.  On my 33 1/2 weeks pregnant feet.

Spurred on by a need to mentally reset and some good runs during the week, and a dose of inspiration from my pregnant running hero Laurie, I took advantage of the fact that Aaron was home on a Saturday morning  and headed out for a run with him agreeing to come pick me up when I was done.  I told him I was hoping for at least an hour, maybe longer, but there was the possibility that I could be calling for a pickup in 30 minutes.  Or less.
I was hopeful, but also realistic.

It was a great relief not to worry about picking a turn around point and just being able to run.  I was smart enough to pack a little fuel and some water in case my body cooperated and I was able to put in some real time and distance.  I clung to time and distance because I knew speed wasn't happening.


Yay cycling tanks for having a nice big back pocket!


That's water spill, not sweat.  I promise.
It's tricky to take a picture of your back.  I'm impressed that I got one this good.

I love my shadow right now, but it was hard to take a decent picture with my phone while running.

It's better when it's straight from the side-then you see the belly poking out.  dang.

It was bright enough that between the glare on the phone and my sunglasses, I couldn't quite tell if the picture was taking or nor.  I got a lot of finger pictures.

Like this one:

And this one:

And this one.  


Awesome, huh?  But hey-there's some belly!

I was pleasantly surprised at how well my body was holding up as I approached mile 5, and now I was headed downhill for a while.

Mile six put a fabulous hill in view, one that I haven't run for many months.  I needed to run the hill.


That's an awful picture.  And involves my finger again.  But I love that hill.

I saw a handful of ladies from the neighborhood out running, it's always so fun to get to see others I know.  I'm so grateful that I live in a community that is so active!  I love seeing dozens of other runners out in the morning, and love how running friendly the trails and paved paths are here. 

I was so thrilled that I held up beyond the 5 or 6 I had hoped for.  I was euphoric by mile 8, knowing that I would hit double digits.  I was starting to get a little tired, and it was warming up, but I needed to see double digits.  Aaron called to check in with me right after I hit mile 9, so I slowed to a walk to talk to him for a bit.  Baby must have shifted at that point because going back to a run shortly thereafter was awkward and slow.  I had maintained a decent pace (for the pregnant me) throughout the rest of the run so I was shocked that I was slogging along at 2min+/mile slower after that little walk break.  But being the stubborn girl that I am, I slogged on till I hit 10 miles.  Which ended perfectly at a brand new park with nice shiny clean bathrooms.


Still not sure which is more awesome, the fact that I logged 10 miles, or the fact that I logged 10 miles WITHOUT a bathroom break.  <----That my friends is pretty darn amazing!  I can't go an hour and a half without a bathroom break in a normal day now, to go longer than that while running without one was fabulous.  And no, it wasn't due to dehydration-I was very careful and smart about keeping the liquids coming.

Beyond thrilled with this run.
It was something I desperately needed mentally (which I didn't realize till afterward), and something I needed to know I was physically capable of (which I also didn't realize until afterward).  My last double digit run had me walking funny for two days after, this time things were great!  My last double digit run left me with angry ITBand.  This time-great!  What a blessing!
I tried to talk Aaron into being ok with me running a half this coming weekend after this run went so great, but he wasn't the least bit excited about that idea.  Even though my midwife is also running it.  Dang, I thought that might do it for him!  (kidding.  kind of.)  I know I could do it, and would even be ok with walking part of it, but knowing that will have to be enough for me for now...and I think it is.  I'm glad he's there to look out for me and make sure I don't overdo things.   Not that I ever get carried away or anything.
There are a handful of local smaller races that I'm hoping to be able to do before baby arrives as long as the body is up for it.  I'd love to get in another long run as well, but honestly, if this is the last long run before baby, I'm totally ok with that.  To have logged only 2 miles in week 33 of pregnancy last time and have logged 20 in week 33 this time is awesome.  To have logged a run this long at this point will keep me floating high for days!

How grateful I am for a strong, cooperative body!  And how grateful I am for what running does for me.
(and I would be remiss if I didn't mention how grateful I am for my amazingly supportive husband, even if he does think I'm a little bit crazy!)

Photobucket

3 comments:

Jane said...

Oh my goodness! I am so impressed! How in the world did you manage all that without a bathroom break??? I can't go more than 2 miles without one these days, so most of my runs are loops around my neighborhood so I can hit up the bathroom at home every 2 miles. WAY TO GO! That is AWESOME!

Celeste said...

I could barely walk at 33 1/2 weeks, let alone run 10 miles!! In fact, I had my miracles at 33 1/2 weeks! Lets just say, I had to use the oh-so-cool "scooter" at Target/Walmart the last 3 weeks of my pregnancy. NOW it's clear just how amazing I think 10 miles is! :)

Laurie said...

10 miles is surely inspiring, but I think doing it without a bathroom break is absolutely amazing!!! I usually stop less than a mile in and then at every other bathroom that I come to... just in case.

Great job you. :)