Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Long May You Run

Today is National Running Day.  Now that's an awesome holiday.
(also the book Long May You Run is a fun book)
It's also my oldest son's 11th birthday.  But that's another post.

To celebrate-I ran.
A creative stretch, I know.

This is actually perfect timing for this fabulous holiday as my official marathon training began this week.
Today I took the Ronins out for a spin.


First time out of the box.  These babies have been sitting under my bed for two months, just waiting.    I love the way they look!  I've found that I love bright obnoxious shoes.  And the tribal band look they've got going on around the back is even better.  They felt pretty good too.  Less shoe than I'm used to, so I don't see these becoming long run shoes, but they will definitely be in rotation for the short runs.  And the long short runs.  Not sure about the short long runs.  I will break down the classification system for you.  I mapped it all out for Aaron the other night.  He was so impressed.  Or maybe just mildly annoyed.  Sometimes they look the same.
Short run = short.  Less than 5 miles.
Long short run = still short, but not as tiny, 5-6 miles.
Short long run = longer than short, but not long, 7-9 miles.
Long run = double digits.  10+.
See?  It all makes sense.

In an effort to squelch the over-achiever in me and at the same time satisfy my type-A-ness, I stuck to exactly what the schedule called for today.  Ok, well, almost.  It called for 3 miles, and I went 3.1.  Close enough.  I looked at today and thought "Three miles?  Really?  Three?  That's less than I'd run if I weren't training for a marathon!", but I will trust the system and the countless people that have used it successfully in the past.  I'm hoping it will help with my knee garbage as well (yes, still an issue).  I am trying to wean myself out of wearing the wrap when I run.  Yesterday I logged 5.4 miles (whoops, that was supposed to be just 5.  I guess I'm aiming to please the type-A and the over achiever?).  I ran *without* the wrap and had only minimal soreness.  A little tightness in the IT and quad after the run, a little tenderness in the knee, but no pain at all and nothing that slowed my pace.  A bit of icing post run and everything felt great last night.  I'll take it!  I'm hoping to eventually do all of my shorter runs without the wrap, as well as some of my short long runs.   Time to get back to some strengthening, and add regular yoga back in.  Hopefully an increase in strength and flexibility will be a big help as well.

Go celebrate by getting out there today and find a way to squeeze in some running.  Or go for a walk.  Or skip down around your house.  Heck, next time you have to pee run to the bathroom.  Just do something to get moving.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.  Take that step.
Photobucket

5 comments:

Heidi said...

I'm also excited about this holiday! What a great thing to celebrate! Have you tried any of that KT tape? I really like it on my knee because it's not bulky and it doesn't get all sweaty and gross (well, it kinda does but then you just throw it away!) Where did you find your marathon training log? Is there one for a half marathon?

Unknown said...

SWEET shoes there!

XLMIC said...

Right on! Just move it :)

So excited to witness your journey to a marathon…even if just online! Go, Catey! Baby that knee.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your blog with me! I'm really looking forward to looking through all your older post (and your current ones too!). 8 babies is impressive! - and you live in Utah! My husband and I spent our honeymoon in Zion. We have a lifetime crush on Utah!

Laurie said...

I love those shoes. I'm a big fan of bright "obnoxious" shoes too.