Monday, January 10, 2011

The next challenge

Wouldn't life be boring now without one?

After the Holiday Bootie Buster Challenge and the Maintain Don't Gain Challenge to keep me going through the holidays, of course it was time for another one!

It's the January Fitness Challenge!
Kicking things in to high gear for the new year.  Hey, that rhymes.  Nice.

In the Bootie Buster Challenge, I had a lackluster week 3 and 4 with a crazy schedule and way too many sick days.  Thankfully I had a nice comeback after that, and since my new challenge kicked in for this last week, I killed it.  My goal was 30pts/week.  My highest week had been my first week at 38pts.  Week 7, my grand finale, I finished out with a whopping 64 points!  Woo-hoo!  Still squat compared to those who ruled this challenge, but a huge week for me.
In the Maintain Don't Gain Challenge, I'm happy to say that not only did I not gain, I was able to drop a few pounds for a final weigh in that was 5 pounds down from the original.

Now, for the new challenge.....
MaryAnne's Fitness Studio where I do my classes ("do" as in participate) is having a challenge to rack up points this month.  With a $5 buy in and a cash prize total of all the entries, there is some good motivation-and some good competition!  The point system in this one breaks down similar to the Bootie Buster;
1 point/mile run/walked
1 point/10 min intense activity
1 point/15min regular aerobic activity, yoga, pilates, toning, etc
1 point/20 min extra stretching
1 point/9 servings fruits/veggies daily
3 points/day for no treats
1 point/weekly goal

And yes, that no treats thing is the hardest part for me.

I'm happy to say that I met my goal and attended every class last week (10 classes, usually 11 but one was cancelled), and I busted things out at home to finish at 116 points for the week.
I have stepped up my game!  I killed myself last week-in a good way-and am hoping to be able to keep it up this week and the rest of the month.  The good news is that it should be exponentially easier with a regular diet!
This week's goal is to hit 20 miles in addition to my regular workouts.  My mileage has been incredibly low lately.  Most of the 20 will be walking still, but thankfully my knee (and the rest of the issues that started on that same leg) seem to be doing nicely now; no residual soreness, no wrap for boot camp or treadmill walking anymore.  Hopefully it will be warm enough (something above 20* please!) to sneak outside and actually run for a few miles a couple of times this week.

If you're looking for something to help you put that resolution to shape up in place, work a challenge in! Use this points system for a base, or make up your own, and reward yourself for making your goals each week!  Even if I don't win this challenge (yes, I am going for a win!), I will reward myself at the end for meeting my personal goals and working so hard.  By the end of the month I ought to be right where I want to be for a new pair of jeans, and I'm thinking a massage will be part of the reward as well.  I'll need one by then!
Along with a nap.
Photobucket
Who will now return to normal blogging

1 comments:

XLMIC said...

Jiminy cricket! 64 pts in the HBBC! 116 pts! You are THE rockstar! I doubt anyone else is racking up those kinds of numbers with anything more than 3 kids in the house. There should be some sort of point scheme that factors the number of children in the house into the mix ;-) WTG!