Monday, June 2, 2008

What a way to start the week...

I've decided I need to get black out shades for whatever room Lincoln sleeps in. This whole getting up with the sun thing is getting old! : ) Oh well. It gives me more time to get the laundry done, right?

This morning started out with a bang, literally, as Lincoln cracked his head on the side of the tub. He was bending down to pick up a fish off the tub floor while I turned off his shower and smacked the corner of his eye right into the edge of the tub. Fun! Thankfully it didn't pop open, I just hope he can make it through the next day without cracking it again and popping it. this comes after smacking the very top of his head on the hymn book holder on the back of the bench at church yesterday. That one did pop open, but thankfully didn't bleed much. Ah, the genteel life of boys.

Unfortunately, instead of getting better, this morning took a turn for the worse with a phone call. My poor father had to be the bearer of bad news when Grandma died last week, but at least we were all expecting that so it was a bit easier to hear. Sadly, I was not expecting the news he called with this morning. Any of you that know anything about me know that I absolutely adore my dr. He has more than spoiled both Aaron and myself through the past 10 yrs and 7 pregnancies. I grew up with his kids, and much of his office staff over the years has come from the neighborhood I grew up in, so with as much time as I've spent pregnant, his office was as close to a home away from home as a dr's office can get! : ) Well, my dad had the unfortunate task of calling me this morning to let my know that my dr passed away last night. Wow. It took a minute to register with me. I thought for sure I must not have heard him correctly. I think I kind of shocked us both when I instantly dissolved into tears, especially when I made it through the "grandma died" announcement without doing so. I was so glad that someone in his neighborhood thought to call him so that he could let me know so that I knew before the office staff has to tackle the dreadful task of calling all of his patients. I am still shocked at the news. He certainly wasn't old enough to die yet-he is my dad's age, maybe a couple of years older. His kids are mine and my sibling's ages...early 30's down to early 20's. Not old enough to have to worry about losing a parent yet. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult this will be for them. My heart goes out to them.

I had planned on calling his office this morning to change my appt this week from Tues to Wed, but after hearing of his passing just couldn't quite pull it together enough to do so, so Aaron did for me. They've already scheduled me to see the dr who shared his office with him and we'll see where it goes from there I guess. I've only seen that dr once before-at the end of my second pregnancy when my dr was out of town, so I really don't know much of anything about him. Thankfully those who I've known from the neighborhood I grew up in that have worked in the office have always spoken very highly of him, so that is comforting. As odd and as selfish as it sounds to say I'm devastated by the thought that I've lost my dr, I am. He has been beyond good to us, more than accommodating to everything I've even thought to ask for as a part of my prenatal care, often times before I could even ask. The man gave us his pager number and home number during one of my pregnancies, because he didn't want to miss the delivery, even if he wasn't on call. When people would balk at the fact that I drive an hour-each way-to see my dr, I would tell them that when you find someone worth much more than their weight in gold, they are absolutely worth an hour drive. I always joked that if my dr retired early and wasn't around to deliver one of my last babies, I'd just have the baby myself at home. I never thought I'd actually have to figure out what to do if he wasn't an option!

13 comments:

Kelsey said...

So sorry about Hammer (sp). That just sux! I'm sure his friend will take great care of you. If not, my dr. is great.

justdawn said...

Awwww, Catey. I know what you mean, about finding a doc that you really trust and adore. The doc who delivered both of my girls was just awesome...but I couldn't bring him to Germany with me for the boys' births. I wish I could be there to advocate for you during labor...but if I know you as well as I think I do...you wouldn't need me there, anyway;)

Unknown said...

Prayers for his family and that the other Dr will become like family too. ((hugs))

Anonymous said...

Heidi will back me up I know...

I vote for a mid-wife!! If you want a great one who delivers at the hospital.. JULIE JONES!! You will want to have a dozen more just so you can see her!! =)

Shilo said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your dr. & your grandma. What a crazy couple weeks for you.
I hope you will come to like your new dr, or if you don't that you will find a better solution...

Heidi said...

Catey! That is CRAZY! I'm so sad! I really thought he was great during my pregnancy/delivery with Jordan. That's so sad! I know how close you were to him!

I will say that I agree with Stacie and think you should go midwife instead. Hamer had a unique relationship with you - he for sure wasn't your "typical OB" in your relationship. I think that you'd find a midwife to be just as loving as Hamer was to you guys. You don't find that in most OB relationships. :)

So sorry to hear that news! Good luck with everything!!!

Ashley said...

That is so sad! I know how much you loved him - hope it all turns out okay for you and the new Dr.

Unknown said...

My heart goes out to you. I lived thru a similar experience on my mission. My 95 year old grandfather passed and it didn't phase me much as it was expected. 2 weeks later I got word that my 55 year old Bishop back home had died. This really shook me up, it was much more of a trial than my own blood just a bit before. Let us know if you need anything, like watching kids or anything else.

I feel so bad for you to have to make adjustments this late in pregnancy. Fortunately, there are other competent OBs out there, it's just sometimes hard to find the right fit for you. I'm sure everyone will suggest their Dr., and so I'll join in : ) Rheanna really does have a great Dr, Maryanne goes there too, so why not just have the whole street go there. He can always reminisce about his great friendship with Gary Vanderhoef, so you feel like he's part of the neighborhood.

Aaron said...

But who will I get as my new PCP?

Unknown said...

Aaron, just be like me and go without a PCP. If my insurance ever asks, I tell them I don't have one. They hate it, but oh well. I haven't been to the dr in 10 years.

justdawn said...

Aaron...I am sure you will find another OB;) hehehe

Heidi said...

Aaron... your new PCP should be the kids Ped. ;)

(He's written me a prescription for antibiotic before... and truth be told, BRIAN still sees HIS ped. ;) )

em said...

I wonder if we have the same dr. I just got a letter saying that my dr had died. I was shocked, and I'm not quite sure what to do now. He delivered both of my kids.