Sunday, June 22, 2008

This week's craftiness

The nesting continues! Though I only get to it in spurts here and there, I'm happy to say that my sewing machine is feeling loved again. And I've started on accessories for the nursery, so I'm all over the place. Oh well.

Never fear-by next weekend, or a week from tomorrow at the latest I can get started on baby's room, and then there will really be some fun things going on! This week I decided to make myself some of the burp cloths that I've always made for others but not myself. Hopefully I'll discover that they really are good and people haven't just been lying to me! : ) And I've really fallen in love with minky fabrics which thankfully aren't nearly as hard to work with as I was originally told. phew! So my blanket is minky velvet, edged with some fabric that my parents brought me from a trip to Hawaii 5 or 6 years ago. It has been waiting for the right project for a long time-it worked out perfectly! (and there is more left still-yay!) I finished the bedding, window treatment and some "art work" (ha!) for the boys room (the ones moving downstairs next week), finished up the valance for the nursery, and just have the crib quilt to finish now. Look at me go! Dang-I wish I could be this productive on a regular basis. Or at least be this productive when it comes to house-keeping. Whatever, you're not supposed to have your cake and eat it to! (Mmmmm....cake.....)

The blanket-and matching burp cloth below


Hopefully the minky will work well for spit-up!


And I have to share this one too-b/c it turned out well! Thank goodness! This is a quilt made of pieces of baby clothing that I did for a friend of mine. I was absolutely terrified of botching this job-especially since it's not like this was something I could just go to the fabric store and buy more of if I messed up on part of it. The back is pink minky dot (matches the few small pieces of minky dot on the front). It was a fun project! Thanks Lisa for trusting me with your princess's memories! : )


So now, if I can just keep up at this pace for two more weeks, I should be able to get everything done, and still have a couple of weeks to just sit and do nothing and "rest" before baby gets here! (did you check the countdown?!? 39 days left till d-day!)

10 comments:

Rheanna said...

Holy Cow! You've been so busy--thanks for fitting me into your project time. The burp cloths and blankets are adorable!!! Love it!

Kelsey said...

did you do the shelf yet? Or the letter? Cute minky burp!

justdawn said...

You are awesome, Catey! Amelia's quilt turned out SO precious and I am loving the New Bean's Hawaiian blankie:) Is she going to have a Hawaiian name??? Are you holding us in suspense on purpose, or should we just start calling her "Pat", too??? hehehe

Unknown said...

CUTE!
CUTE!
CUTE!

I'm telling you; you should open up an on-line boutique. Thank you again...beautimous. And I'm with Dawn...names?

Catey said...

As soon as the name is for sure, I'll let you know! : ) Hopefully in the next week or so if Aaron is set enough on it for me to put it up on her wall! Looks like we may be deviating from the Hawaiian theme with this one. none of those seemed right....

Kel-no shelf yet. We hit the lake instead of me getting anything done. Finished painting the shadow boxes today though! My letter thing didn't quite turn out how I planned, gonna have to tweak it and see what I can do. Hmmmm.... Oh, I stopped to get you a shelf at another store and they were out. I'm getting one for you though so don't buy one!

Kelsey said...

I'll pay you for the shelf if you can find one. Do you think they carry it at my ghetto one? Why aren't you telling people her name :) he he....just wanted to keep your posters on their toes.
I guess I need to learn how to m.p. that letter for Hallie. I don't know how to spell it. Let me know when you start "her" room and I'll come help. Also...I'm goint to start making tag blankets..do I need a sewing machine :0

Annika said...

Wow I'm beginning to think I got jipped on my "nesting phase" I was never THAT energetic! I absolutely love your blankets and burps! Why didn't I have a sewing wizard like you around for my last five babies?

~LL~ said...

I tried to post a comment the other day, but my computer hates me :D

SO CUTE! I love quilts out of clothing. I have one (that I had when I was a little gal) that is made out of my daddy's jeans...the backing is red/white bandana.

great work!

Heidi said...

Ooooooo... it all turned out so cute, Catey! :)

Kelsey said...

that's funny about the pic in the box...I thought the same thing and I even see a little bit of Malia when she was little. Ha ha everyone, she does look like me!