Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Opinions

I read something today that made me laugh and roll my eyes at the same time. It was a post by a friend of my about losing her readers for her opinions. I know the spirit in which she made the comment, but I also know that there are people who are constantly afraid to say what they think for fear of hurting somebody's feelings-especially since they aren't sure just who may be peeking in on their blog. It reminded me of someone else who a few months ago posted an apology on her blog. She listed initials of people who she might have offended in the past with some of her posts. While I think she's a wonderful person, and very kind-hearted to even think to apologize for something that may or may not have hurt feelings, I thought it was totally and completely unnecessary. Had she said something hurtful or mean or inappropriate, sure. But she shouldn't have to apologize for her opinions.

So here's my opinion; Blogs are mostly our personal ramblings. Things we may not have the kahones to admit right out loud in a group conversation, but can type out on our own personal turf. I know people (myself included) who have specifically not posted stories or events or thoughts because of the fear "but what if so-and-so reads this?", or those who specifically post something just because they know a particular person will be likely to read it and they don't dare say something to their face. I have to admit that I hesitated to vent about this figuring someone will read something into it. Nope. Just sayin. My thinking in both cases is as follows: get over it.

Unfortunately sometimes it goes the other way-hidden in the anonimity of being online, some people just get downright mean. That's even worse. Didn't you ever learn to play nice?

We're all adults here-if you don't like someone's opinion, don't read their blog. Pull up your big girl panties and move on. It's not like you are trapped in their living room watching the slides from their last family vacation.

Yikes-I sound angry. Nope-I'm not. Just pontificating on how silly I think it all is that everyone is so worried about what other people think. Just be who you are! Because as ironic as it is-most people don't care about it nearly as much as we fear they do!

(and thank you Lisa and Dawn for the phrase of the day! lol Made me snicker in both cases!)

10 comments:

Kelsey said...

awkward

Tiffany said...

I guess I am not nice enough to worry about what others think about my opinions. hmmmmmmm Oh well still not going to worry :)

Heidi said...

Agreed!

I'm going to think of something snarky to tick people off who read my blog now... and I don't care.

;)

Heidi said...

Nicely put! I love it!!!

~LL~ said...

:D

Aaron said...

Pull up your "big girl panties"?.......Oh I feel a blog coming on about that one!!!

(Exclamation marks just for you)

bethy said...

Yes! "Get over it" is my new saying because around here, it's ridiculous! Thanks for saying what the rest of wished we had the kahones to say.

justdawn said...

Aaron...you can only use the term "Big Girl Panties" on your blog if you agree to credit Catey, Lisa and I;) heh

Obviously, I did "get over it" because I let my fingers do the walkin' and then I hit "publish"...but I know that you know wherein my apprehension lies.

I have lost more than a few internet "friends" because my views didn't jive with their views and a big cat fight ensued.

I am glad to have the few left that I do though;)

Unknown said...

Too funny!

I think that I agree with you?

Then again, I rarely post controversial stuff...teehee!

cbett said...

Please don't ever talk about pulling up your big girl panties in a forumn where it is a possibility I may read it. I just threw up in my mouth a little bit