Monday, May 5, 2008

Egg on my face

OK-not really on my face, or much on me at all, but egg anywhere....what a mess.

Today was the lovely giant monthly shopping trip. The last few months we've done it as a family, that way Aaron and I can divide and conquer. And that way we can easily do two carts instead of me trying to pack things into just one. Well, I needed to just get it done, so we headed out this morning for an early start (relatively) to just do it! My intention of getting out the door by 9:30 didn't quite come to fruition (surprise). I realized that I had not been through my coupons for quite some time, so I had to spend a good 20min going through to find what I actually needed, and what was expired. Got that done, got the three little boys completely ready, and we were headed out to the car when Malia called. She forgot her library books that were due today. Back in the house, and searching downstairs for the books. I finally found the books, re-wrangled the boys back toward the car, trying to find the shoes that had been abandoned in the minutes I spent looking for the books. I would love to have just left everyone strapped in the car while I ran the books into the school office, but, you know, I try to be a safe mommy! So, three little boys in a busy school office with just one person working and the phone ringing off the hook. Cute Susan finally got to us and I realized I need copies of immunization records for the kids and thought I'd just do that while I was there. Three little boys do not enjoy sitting still in the office for that long! While my back was turned, Dallin took off, then Jacob yells "Mom! Dallin's gone! I'll go get him!" And he ran off. Thankfully I could see that Dallin was just outside the window, unfortunately Jacob missed that and took off down the hallway of the school. So I grabbed the copies, ran after Dallin outside, then proceeded to run back into the school to find Jacob. Thankfully he hadn't gone too far!

Let me tell you how appealing Costco and Walmart were looking by now....

Costco actually went well. Very uneventful, likely due to the fact that I promised the boys a drink on the way out if they behaved. And the fact that Dallin was strapped up into the cart with Lincoln. I love their big carts. Walmart needs some like that....

Speaking of Walmart, it's always crowded. Always. Oh well, it's the norm. The boys did OK, but by this time it was now approaching lunch time and nap time, and, well, you know how that goes with a bunch of little kids. I let them help me pick my gum-all they while they thought they were getting it for themselves, which no I did not clarify at that point are you crazy? That was distracting enough that we made it all the way to the check out. So far so good, just get through the line. As we were waiting in line to load all of our groceries onto the little conveyor belt, Lincoln turned far enough around to get a hold of the carton of eggs. And get it opened. And get one out. Silly me, trying to reign my two older ones in for just a few more minutes, I didn't see Lincoln with the egg. And the second I turned back to him (safely strapped in the cart-what could happen?), the egg exploded. In his fist. And all over his sleeve, his pants, the cart, and the floor. It is amazing how much mess one egg makes.

I have always detested the hundreds of things stacked along the checkout that kids tend to pull off the shelves. I have never been more grateful for their location! Thankfully they had a little package of wipes there! Yes, I opened it before I paid for it (which I still feel slightly guilty for), but I wasn't going to wait another 10 minutes to clean up! Lesson learned-do not leave the diaper bag in the car. You might need the wipes. Half the package later, Lincoln was relatively clean, the egg was off most of the cart seat, the package of bread, and the floor. I missed the bag of marshmallows (as I learned when I got a very sticky hand as I put them up on the belt), but whatever. Close enough. And what cashier doesn't want to be greeted with "hi...do you have a garbage can back there?" As you hand them a wad full of wipes filled with egg mess?

So-take it from me. Even if you put the eggs out of reach, they aren't out of reach. And it only took THIRTY-FIVE minutes to get through the check out once they started scanning my groceries. No, I didn't buy that much. But apparently when a box of Cream of Wheat doesn't scan correctly, and you call for a manager FIVE times, no one cares. And they just sit there and wait. Instead of just letting me walk back and check the price. Whatever. Ironically an identical box that another cashier finally went and picked up scanned fine. She took my three boxes that didn't work, and they scanned and gave me one instead. One is plenty thank you. I'll get two more next time.

Yikes. No wonder people hate Walmart!

And yes, I'll still shop there. Just preferably without the kids next time. Anyone else in the neighborhood want to start taking midnight shopping trips?

The best news of the day: At least Lincoln's didn't grace me with the diaper explosion while at WalMart. He waited until we were home and he was safely in his crib on the bedding that was just washed and had just been put back on! Thanks bud! ;)

6 comments:

Ashley said...

Wow! What a day - sorry, that does not sound fun. But knowing you, you stayed calm throughout the whole day - you truly are very patient and loving with your children - love it! I want to be more like you!
Also, there is another baby store that gives away free gifts on their blog - if you go to my blog and click on the ONEity blog you will find it.

Kelsey said...

walmart= hell
The first thing I do when I walk into Target is grab wet wipes, use them all over the cart and throw them in the basket. Why would you feel guilty? Your paying for 'em!

Aaron said...

Brother...you were telling me about that last night at dinner but left out the fun stuff....

Shilo said...

Sounds like a very exciting day...I hate shopping with the kids, thus it doesn't get done like it should, so Kudos to you for even attempting it.

Unknown said...

Adventures like that are so fun. I've set an expectation for myself that about 50% of my visits to walmart will be disastrous or at the very least annoying. Rheanna is always up for midnight trips, especially since I can't stay awake very late anymore : )

~LL~ said...

I am LMBO. I have SO been there, done that! ROFLMBO!!!