Monday, April 15, 2013

I am a runner

It was only a matter of days ago when I did some math and realized that it actually might be possible for me to qualify for Boston.  I'm not quite there, but it crossed my mind as realistic for the first time.

I watched with excitement as the elite men and women raced that historic course this morning.
My 2yr old and 4yr old ventured in and out, finally snuggling up with me to watch.  Sam kept saying one of his favorite things; "They running Mommy!  They running!"
I was filled with amazement as I watched the leaders cross the finish line and thought of all of those who worked so hard to be there.

Like every runner, my thoughts were on Boston today.

I was going to post today about my long run this past weekend.  That just seems silly now.

Because my thoughts are still on Boston.

As everyone else is, I am sickened by what happened today.  The finish line of a marathon is such an incredible place.  Watching other peoples' finish lines always makes me emotional.  As Katherine Switzer said, "If you are losing faith in human nature, go out and watch a marathon".   Stories of struggle and triumph, of work and of hope, of heart and courage all play out right there.  Which makes what happened today cut that much deeper, especially in the running community.

My kids all said the same thing as they came home and found me watching streaming coverage from Boston.  Who in the world would do such a thing?  Why?
I don't know.  I'll never understand why.  It makes my heart hurt and my stomach turn.  The only answer I could give them was "the same kind of people who would fly planes into a building, or would walk into a classroom and shoot children."

There is great evil in this world.  But there is also great good.

So many people who run struggle with calling themselves runners in the beginning.  They wonder when they've run enough.  Is it a certain mileage or pace?  A race distance or number of races?  "When did you feel like you could call yourself a runner?" is a common question.  Today I have no doubt that anyone who runs calls themselves a runner and feels a part of the great community that was struck so tragically today.

Horrible things happened today.
An event that symbolized people running toward their dreams will now also be remembered for those who will never walk again.  But there will be a great rally of support and the good will come together in a very big way.  Runners are an amazing group...a family.
And while the bad in this world is getting worse, the good is getting better.  Good will overcome.

Thousands of runners run with Boston in their mind each day.  Now thousands will run with Boston in their heart forever.

If you haven't seen the suggestion yet, as a show of solidarity and support wear a race shirt tomorrow in honor of Boston.  If you don't have a race shirt, wear the blue and yellow of Boston.  Pray for Boston.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I love fitness, too, and was so sad that this event was touched by violence. I am hugging my babies even closer today, and praying.

Danielle said...

I can't believe something like that could happen. I am running my first half-marathon in a few weeks and am nervous now.

Catey said...

Danielle-I think all of us that have races coming up will be nervous. I think many will be for a long time. I really appreciated a comment from a man named Brandon Dase, interviewed by a friend of mine for a local news establishment here. He ran Boston yesterday and when asked if he would do it again he said "To live in fear is not to live. A marathon is a celebration of the human spirit. The Boston Marathon is that coupled with the celebration of the American spirit. I will always strive to be a part of both."
Run on!