Friday, November 18, 2011

Friday Morning

Yay Friday!
There's just something about it.  Something that says no matter how frustrating today is, it can only get better because it's Friday.  Sure the weekend might be jam packed with all sorts of stuff, but still-it's the weekend!

Which I'm hoping is the case from here on out....

I had grand plans today.
Get up early, with all traces of this cold/sore throat long gone.  Get a killer workout in.  Get the kids merrily off to school with no arguing or fighting and without destroying the house which they somehow do in the process of eating breakfast, getting dressed, and getting out the door each morning.  Put Sam down for a nap once kids are off, then hit the treadmill while Charlotte and Lincoln sing my praises because I let them watch a movie.

It is now 9:49am.  I am focusing on being Thankful despite the fact that the above scenario was a pipe dream.

I turned off my 5:45 alarm.  And my 6:00 alarm.  And my 6:15 alarm.  The cold is still here.  Throat feels much better though which is awesome.  Finally roll out of bed at 6:30, realizing that I need to get myself in gear because no one's going to a: come and motivate me to get up, b: coddle me and gently help me wake up peacefully, or c: let me roll over and go back to sleep and just take over the morning for me.
Put on my fluffy robe to at least pretend I'm still tucked in my fluffy bed.
Schlump down the stairs to wake children 1, 2 and 4.  1 leaves for school first, 2 has to leave early today for a field trip, and 4 has homework to finish.
Schlump back upstairs and change into workout clothes since that might be slightly more motivating than my fluffy robe.
Check email.
Back downstairs to get child 1 up.  Again.
And child 4 up.  Again.
Back upstairs to get Sam who is now awake.  Bathe baby whose diaper leaked.  Awesome.
Clean up baby, and diaper leak, get baby situated in high chair for breakfast.
Get child 4 up.  AGAIN.
Spend the next hour and a half getting the rest of the crew up, fed, showered, dressed and ready for the day and the oldest two out the door.
Somehow sneak in a fabulous core workout without anyone killing themselves or blowing up the house.
Finish said workout just in time for morning devotional with the kids left at home.  Ten minutes till school time.
Find out that child 4 still hasn't started the load of laundry he needed to start an hour ago.  And that his homework isn't signed off.
Oh, and that one page isn't done still.
Blow through homework with child 4 while signing all of child 5's school things that need to be turned in today.  All while child 3 jumps up and down telling me we need to hurry up because her friends are waiting for her outside.  She is wearing a tshirt and gloves.  It is in the low 30s (if that), but feels colder with the breeze.  At least her coat is in her backpack.  Let it go....
Finally get everyone out the door.  If 4 runs he will make it before the bell rings.
Turn around to find that while I was helping with the last minute homework, someone has opened the sugar bucket.
Sam has found the sugar bucket.
Sam is happy.  (I swear he is happy despite the weird face)


And covered in sugar.  Someone realized it was open and replaced the lid but neglected to tell me anything.

Start cleaning up Sam, only to realize there is a very strong smell of freshness wafting through the house.  And it's not the Scentsy.
Oh look, it's coming from the laundry room.



Where I then commenced cleaning up roughly 200oz of laundry detergent.  Because that 200oz jug was almost completely full.  And now it is almost completely empty.  Apparently it was set too close to the edge and it leapt to it's death convinced that a quick death would be more tolerable than being pulled out and used 5-6 times a day for the next two months.

Nice.
While cleaning up I asked Lincoln for a wet rag.  He proceeded to soak 4 dishtowels and bring them to me.  Soaked.  And dripping very large amounts of water all across the floor from the kitchen to the laundry room.
Start mopping up the water with Lincoln's help.
Remember that Sam never really got cleaned up and is still covered in sugar.  Get my sugar baby to the bath, whereupon unsnapping his onesie, sugar pours out.


So now, I am Thankful.
I am thankful, I am thankful, I am thankful.  (really I am.  but I'm also still working on it.)

I am thankful we got everyone out the door on time.
I am thankful for a warm house on a cold morning.
I am thankful my kids have friends that show up before school.
I am thankful all the homework got done.  finally.
I am thankful I have a big sugar bucket.  Yes, I really am.  I bake people.  Well, I don't bake people, but I bake, people.
I am thankful that Sam is functional enough to get into the sugar.  
I am thankful the sugar bucket didn't spill.
I am thankful it was the sugar and not the flour.  That would have been a bigger mess.
I am thankful we have a rug in the laundry room that soaked up so much of the detergent.
I am thankful that we have a laundry room.
I am thankful that we have a washer and dryer that work fabulously.
I am thankful that child 4 actually did start the laundry.
I am thankful it happened today when I came upon the problem within minutes, instead of yesterday when I left the house right after the school kids did and the mess would have sat for 7 hours before I found it.
I am thankful the floor vent was closed and no detergent got in there.
I am thankful that Lincoln tried to help me, even if he did flood the kitchen counter and part of the floor.
I am thankful that Charlotte played with Sam while I cleaned up the detergent so I didn't have to worry about him getting in it.
I am thankful that Sam likes baths so that clean up from the sugar incident was fun and not a fight.
I am thankful I have a camera so that I can capture moments like this.  And people can see that I'm not actually exaggerating.  It really is this crazy here.  All. the. time.
I am thankful that I get to stay home, that my husband has been willing to sacrifice so many things to allow our family this privilege, so that I can deal with this crazy every day.

And now I am thankful that Sam went down happily for his nap.
And I am thankful for my treadmill so I can go run.  And for a tv so Lincoln and Charlotte can watch a movie.  And maybe I'll teach them a song about how mom is so great so they can literally sing my praises....

Have a fabulously eventful Friday.
Photobucket

11 comments:

Niki said...

This was one of my favorite posts ever! Love ya!

Conservamom said...

LOL!! I am not laughing at you just with you!! This was awesome!! I guess we count the reasons for our blessings right? Hope your weekend is a little less exciting than your Friday :)

Utah Mom said...

Oh my! Hope your afternoon is better!

Rheanna said...

Glad you found things to be thankful for after that morning.....it was one of "those" mornings at our house too, but I'm still working on being grateful! :o)

XLMIC said...

I just love this so much! I LOVE it. And be thankful that when the weather turns cold that ants don't swarm in your house... that sugar situation would be even more of a situation.

You are so amazing. Really, though. You are!

Becky Jones said...

I agree with Niki this is for sure one of my favorite posts you've ever written. You document so well the daily crazy events of motherhood! You do however deserve Saturday and Sunday to be without any craziness!!!

Kelsey said...

Just another day right?! :)

Kerri said...

Wow... It is great to be thankful!

~LL~ said...

Awesome, awesome! Yeah... sometimes it takes frustration, followed by the clean-up to give us time to reflect on what is truly great! Love you, friend.

PS... as soon as I get the blog up, I'll clue you in! Hopefully Monday!

Laurie said...

Holy cow Catey! Next time i think everything is going super crazy at my house, I will pull up this post. I guess double the kids really is double the chaos! You are such an amazing person. I love your thankful list.

I've done that exact thing with the laundry detergent... my basement smelled amazing for about a week.

Martinezster said...

I just wanted to finally leave a comment and let you know I love your blog! I have been following for a few months now. :) I am a step mommy to a 3 1/2 year old that keeps me on my toes all the time. To imagine 8 kids and all the craziness that would come along with that, I am just amazed!!! It is nice to find things to be thankful for even when some of the small things don't go right! Love this post!