Thursday, January 28, 2010

Frosting perfection


I have issues with sugar.

There's a big shocker, right? ha!

So naturally I love frosting. A-what's not to love? B-it involves sugar C-and also usually cake. Mmmm....cake.....

I have frostings that I use frequently, some are great, some are ok. I've never quite reached the perfect consistency and taste at the same time. At least as far as cake frosting. Cookies I'm good with. But cake.....still searching.

Until this week.

For the aforementioned baby shower (previous post), I made cupcakes. This required practicing the frosting.

(and the decorating too of course)

So I played with a buttercream frosting recipe last weekend. I had a cold so I couldn't taste a darn thing. But the consistency was perfect! It worked just right with the decorating tip!


But I couldn't tell on the taste. I asked the 11yr old who told me "It's different." Like bad different? Gross different? WHAT?! "Just different. But I'd certainly eat it!" Well, that's good, but she has my affinity for sugar, so not a great litmus test.

Enter the husband. The picky about sweets husband. He doesn't much like the frosting I usually make. So this is a good test. He tasted it and replied with "Wow. That's the best frosting you've ever made!"
And later that night as we were headed to bed he snuck out to the kitchen. When he finally returned to our bedroom he walked in with a grin and a half full mouth.

When he swallowed he finally spoke.

"Do you know what's better than a cupcake?"

uh, no?

"Three cupcakes and a glass of milk!"

Three more comments about the frosting at the shower today. Very nice.

Mission accomplished-Frosting perfected.

Also, just in case you were wondering, I ate this for dinner last night:




(though let's be brutally honest, I was tempted to just eat it like this...)


Sweet dreams.

Literally.
Photobucket

6 comments:

Unknown said...

OK, you have to share the recipe!!

Rheanna said...

That frosting was very heavenly! by the way, A part of me thought you were kidding that you had a 3 layer cake in your pantry...apparently not :o)

Catey said...

Glad you like it! :)

And really, of all the people that would talk about having a cake hidden in the cupboard, I think I'm probably the one person you can actually take seriously! ha! You should see the chocolate one.....

Kelsey said...

can't wait to see the ones tonight :)
Thanks for being Martha Stewart.

Catey said...

Lisa-as soon as I figure out the measurements I used, I'll share! 2 sticks of butter, 4 cups powdered sugar, 1tsp of vanilla (good vanilla)....and I've got to figure out how much of the cream I used.....

~LL~ said...

SO??????? RECIPE??????

You know you have to send it.

Have you done the triple chocolate mousse cake yet? Talk about a good deal!