Monday, January 18, 2010

Day One: The new routine

I've been very lucky that I don't have a husband whose job requires frequent travel. I'm used to the luxury of having him home.

We've done the school thing before, he was gone at least 3 nights a week, sometimes more, so on those days he was up to work before the kids started the day, and home hours after they were in bed. At the time we had 3 kids, and added a 4th about a year before he finished. They would go sometimes 4 or 5 days without seeing Dad.

Here we go again.
Today is day one of our new schooling adventure. Thankfully I get broken in with just a 2 week course as he gets his CNA so he can apply to the RN program. Hopefully he'll get in this next available start (April). Apparently there are usually close to 80 applicants for 12 available slots, so the odds aren't especially high, but we are hopeful. Worst case he doesn't get to start in April, he applies again for the next round, and I get the luxury of having my husband home for a few months longer before he is immersed in 2yrs (or more depending on where this goes) of constantly being gone.
For the next two weeks he'll leave home at 5:30am like normal, but instead of coming home after work will head straight to school. With any luck he'll be home by around 11 each night.

Hopefully I'll hold up.

Worst case we have a really bad day and the kids go to bed a little earlier for "extra reading time". While I'm big on reading time, and the kids don't usually complain about extra reading time, I'm hoping they don't have to spend too much extra time reading over the next couple of years!

Here's to new adventures. May your life never be boring.

Photobucket

8 comments:

Steel Springs said...

What a tough schedule. Good luck with the new routine and good luck to your husband!

Kelsey said...

good luck...better get cable :)

Unknown said...

Best of luck to Aaron and to you for surviving! If any family can do it, yours certainly can!

Cindi said...

I wish you both the best of luck. I have lots of books if you need to borrow them for extra reading time. :)

~LL~ said...

You will adapt to a "Daddy's home" schedule and a "Daddy's gone" schedule. Though, we do have a few hours on either side that are rough...especially when the weather is changing.

I get to where I keep a different schedule, as well.. and that often leads to chaos at home, but I would not have it any other way. :)

Though he is out of town/state/country (whatever the case may be) 18 days a month, when he's home, he is TOTALLY home!

moffthetoff said...

I LOVE the support you two give each other. :) You are both so great! I love you!
Missy

The Balls said...

Good Luck! I can relate - minus 6! B travels ALL THE TIME and when he is in town he is rarely home before 9pm, usually it is much later! You will be amazed at the strength you will find! You will also pull your hair out regularly! You are one of the strongest, most amazing people I know. You will do great! Call me, I am always home hubby-less!

the Provident Woman said...

On days my hubby works late I put the kids to bed early. I know he does the same thing when I go to my night job. A little peaceful alone time never hurts anybody.
theprovidentwoman.com