Tuesday, March 11, 2008

True Friendship

I've been thinking a lot about my friends lately. Yes! I have friends! Woo-hoo! Even if they are just humoring me, they are good fakers! I guess it's because I've realized how much I rely on my friends, and how fortunate I am to have friends so very close to home. And especially how lucky I am to get to spend forever with my very best friend! It just so happens that old friends have crossed paths with me recently as well. Some in connection with a 10yr high school reunion last year (no I didn't go to it, but part of me thinks I should have....oh well, 10 more yrs to get in great shape before it rolls around again! lol), some that we ran into at a film showing (yes-other people actually went to that birth movie too-by choice! ha!) , some who have landed at this blog by whatever circumstances, and another is coming to town this weekend so hopefully we'll get a chance to get together, even if it's just for a few minutes.

So I especially enjoyed an emailI got from an old friend of mine today. We hardly ever chat or email each other any more, and since she lives in FL I never see her, but we randomly send each other things worth sending. She sent me one that I've seen before, but that never fails to crack me up. And seriously-it is so on the mark! Everyone gets plenty of those really cheesy and sappy emails about "forward this to X amount of good friends and a miracle will happen" or silly pictures of animated kittens hugging or whatever with little taglines about being wonderful or important or whatever. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the thought. But really, Sometimes it's nice to just say it like it is!!

So, thanks to Lori, here is the Friendship email.

True Friendship Is None of that Sissy Crap
Are you tired of those sissy 'friendship' poems that always sound good,
But never actually come close to reality?
Well, here is a series of promises that actually speak of true friendship.
You will see no cutesy little smiley faces on this card- Just the stone cold truth of our great friendship.

1. When you are sad -- I will jump on the person who made you sad like a spider monkey.
2. When you are blue -- I will try to dislodge whatever is choking you.
3. When you smile -- I will know you are plotting something that I must be involved in.
4. When you are scared -- I will rag on you about it every chance I get.
5. When you are worried -- I will tell you horrible stories about how much worse it could be until you quit whining.
6. When you are confused -- I will use little words.
7. When you are sick -- Stay away from me until you are well again. I don't want whatever you have.
8. When you fall -- I will point and laugh at your clumsiness.
9. This is my oath.... I pledge it to the end. 'Why?' you may ask; 'because you are my friend'.

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, BUT only you can feel the true warmth.
Send this to 10 of your closest friends, Then get depressed because you can only think of 4!

Fortunately for me, I can actually think of 10 (and believe it or not, even more!) friends who I would be happy to send this too. So to all of my good friends, thanks for all you do!! And thanks for putting up with my pregnant irritability and all that good stuff!